The NIH Blueprint Neurotherapeutics Network (BPN) is part of NIH Blueprint for Neuroscience Research, a collaborative framework that includes the NIH Office of the Director together with eleven NIH Institutes and Centers, that support research on the nervous system. The BPN was launched to enable neuroscientists in academia and biotechnology companies to develop new drugs for nervous system disorders. The BPN provides non-dilutive funding for small molecule drug discovery and development, from hit-to-lead chemistry through phase I clinical testing. Through the BPN program, investigators together with the NIH build a team and leverage drug discovery and development experts who can help them advance their basic research into human testing. This is accomplished through a combination of grant funding, access to a full range of NIH-funded drug discovery development CROs (medicinal chemistry, pharmacokinetics/ADME, toxicology, drug manufacturing, drug formulation and phase I clinical trials) and, importantly, access to NIH-funded consultants with extensive pharma experience spanning all drug development stages to help guide the team. A fundamental hallmark of the program is that the research institution retains the intellectual property rights. With a strong track record of success, the BPN program provides an excellent opportunity to translate basic and applied findings into novel clinical candidates and advance them to the clinic. The goal is to generate the required data to de-risk further funding for subsequent clinical trials, partnership, or out-licensing.
Open funding opportunities for this program:
- PAR-24-043: Blueprint Neurotherapeutics Network (BPN): Small Molecule Drug Discovery and Development of Disorders of the Nervous System (UG3/UH3 Clinical Trial Optional)
- PAR-24-063: Blueprint Neurotherapeutics Network (BPN): Small Molecule Drug Discovery and Development for Disorders of the Nervous System (U44 Clinical Trial Optional)
Upcoming application due dates for the above funding announcements: February 9, 2024; July 15, 2024; January 15, 2024
To learn more about BPN for Small Molecules:
- View the Blueprint Neurotherapeutics Q&A Webinar with Program Director Charles Cywin (November 29, 2023)
- View the OPEN Stage Webinar: Drug Discovery & Development at NINDS (July 26, 2022)
- View the BPN poster: NIH Blueprint Neurotherapeutics Network (BPN): Funding and Resources for the Discovery of Novel Drug Candidates for the Treatment of Neurological Disorders(pdf, 2107 KB)
To learn more about Neurotherapeutics Discovery and Development, view the 2023 Training in Neurotherapeutics Discovery and Development for Academic Scientists Course Lectures.